Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Beginning of the Story

Where does one start to tell the story of how God has led us to adoption? I guess the best place is at the beginning. I have always loved children and wanted to have four of my own. However, even in high school I thought that adoption would be a wonderful way to have children. After all, God adopted us, so adoption is just another step in our walk with Him.

I wasn't sure that I would ever be married so I considered the idea of single parent adoption but with my parent's teaching, I came to realize that this is not what God intended for children. His intent was a 2 parent family; so I prayed for my life partner. I just assumed that he would be found while I was in college, but that didn't happen. After many years of singleness (and hating every moment of it) God taught me that I needed to be happy in my singleness. Boy what a hard lesson to learn. Shortly after coming to terms with be single for the rest of my life, I met Ralph, my dh, at the age of 29. Doesn't God have a sense of humor?

We got engaged after dating only a few months. One of our first conversations was about children. He loves them as much as I do, but we realized that we might not be able to have our own biological children. Ralph mentioned adoption and I immediately responded with a hearty, "you bet"!

Gotta run, dinner is calling. I'll be back later to continue on with the story.

No comments: