Monday, September 24, 2007

Home Study

It just dawned on me that I never wrote a thing about the home study, although I did ask for prayer.

For those that may be contemplating an adoption, the home study is not a big deal. It was a very painless process, just a long one. We talked with out social worker for about 3 hours. She asked a lot of questions about our families while we were growing up and our family now, how we met, why Zambia and the list goes on and on. One of the questions she asked was how Ralph and I met. It's an interesting story (if you don't know it and want to, just let me know) and she was quite intrigued. By the end of the interview process she made the statement, "This is the most fun home study I've ever done" and she's been doing them for close to 30 years.

She interviewed Edward and Johannah but that lasted about 5 minutes. She basically wanted to know if they thought that we would be good adoptive parents and if they were in favor of the adoption. No problem there!!

Roberta, our social worker, was getting ready to leave and I thought that all of my cleaning was in vain. But, no. She did want to do a walk through of the house to see the space that we have available for a child. Not a problem there, either.

The interview process was actually enjoyable and nothing to stress over. She will be writing it up and giving a a draft to read and make corrections (of a factual nature) if necessary. She'll finalize the document and send us a copy.

The only thing that I was really concerned about was the dog. However, she loves dogs and Oliver was on his best behavior so it is not a problem.

All in all, it was a great experience for us all. I am looking forward to reading what she wrote from her copious pages of notes!!

3 comments:

Joy said...

We too are adopting from Zambia so I thought I would "get to know you" through your blog. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Are you in full time ministry (at least that is what I got from reading about your vacation "rental"). I would love to hear more about that. We are believers in AZ and hoping to adopt a couple of little boys and one day be in full time ministry - missions.
Take care,
Joy

Carolyn said...

Yes, we are in full time ministry. My husband is the pastor of a small church in Brooklyn, NY. Email me and I'll tell you about our wonderful vacation "rental".

Anonymous said...

WOOOO HOOOOO :) Why do we doubt God and his power and abitity to do great things?!?!?! The "yard sale continues on Butler Ave...God is GOOD :) We are so EXCITED for you all!!!! Hugs :)

D And D and tribe :)